Sunday 2 February 2014

Bolton Ings et al - Sunday 2nd February

A lovely day this morning, 7c at 8 o'clock when I started out, clear blue skies but a strong south westerly. Fairly quiet, the "resident' Buzzard still present on the fence posts, 3 pairs of Goldeneye and a Goldcrest in riverside trees. Full list :- Grey Heron 1, Mute Swan 9, Canada Goose 31, Grey Lag Goose 115, Cormorant 4, Great Crested Grebe 1, Little Grebe 3, Mallard 12, Teal 20, Gadwall 40, Wigeon 14, Shoveler 12, Tufted Duck 26, Pochard 20, Goldeneye 6, Goosander 2, Coot 165, Moorhen 10, Lapwing 43, Black Headed Gull 355, Common Gull 11, LBB Gull 1, Buzzard 1, Kestrel 2, Sparrowhawk 1, Green Woodpecker 1, Jay 2, Goldcrest 1.  

Had a walk onto the Reedbeds at Old Moor late afternoon and had a very good couple of hours. I was hoping to hear the Bittern booming and right on cue he started at 4.45, I looked in the direction of the "booms" and picked him up on the edge of the reeds. Fantastic views and even saw him booming, after  30 minutes out in the open he flew into thicker reeds and out of view. He carried on booming and I counted 10 "booms" until 5.45 when I left. Although the booming was impressive I would say he isn't quite up to full volume yet compared to the last 2 years.

As I was walking onto the Reedbeds at 3.45 a Woodcock flew from the trees at the side of the road onto the themed area. A Water Rail was seen and heard in front of the hide, a Dunlin flew round with a Lapwing flock and as I was leaving a Green Sandpiper flew over.

No comments: