Wednesday 28 January 2015

The Edge 28th Jan

Wombwell Ings mid AM-Just over half way onto the ings when a torrential squall struck. My walking stick enabled me to make a passable imitation of a tripod as I braced myself against the strongest winds I've encountered on the ings. Wet and bedraggled I reached the comfort and safety of the hide(never thought I'd be positive about the metallic structure). Eventually, the rain and wind eased and 1 was able to see 2 Mute Swan, 300+ Canada Geese, 64 Greylag, 1 Pink Footed Goose, 2 Shelduck, 101+ Wigeon, 15+ Teal, 10 Mallard, 7 Gadwall, 6 Tufted Duck, 3 Shoveler, 1f Goosander, 1 Cormorant, 4 Grey Heron, 4 Coot, 2 Moorhen, 32 BH Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 4 Lapwing and 2 Meadow Pipit.
Broomhill Flash late AM- The Little Owl in the eastern box was viewable from Wombwell Ings. Also noted were 2 Mute Swan, 16 Canada Geese, 32 Wigeon, 8+ Pochard, 8 Gadwall, 3 Tufted Duck, 3 Shoveler, 2 Teal, 1 Cormorant, 23 Coot, 59 BH Gull, 1 Common Gull and 50+ Lapwing.

Due to the predicted stormy weather, I decided not to risk Bolton Ings with my dodgy knee.

No comments: