Friday 15 November 2013

Moor or Less?

Having managed to get two ordeals over with in one day yesterday it left me free today so decided to have a crack at the moors. The weather at Broomhead was favorable being sheltered from the wind that was blowing on the peak so I decided to put all my eggs in one basket and spend the day crossbill hunting. Overall though it was pretty disappointing  with sightings limited to five by the feeders (which were awash with common birds) that lingered just long enough for me too see that at least one was definitely a Common and about 25 at  Dwarriden Plantation (where Roy Twigg saw a male Two-barred recently) that landed in the tree tops but 'popped' before I managed to 'up-scope'. There seemed to be an abnormally large number of Jays around to me but other than that it was pretty much the usual stuff, Buzzards, Sparrowhawks, Nuthatch Siskins etc.

No comments: