Monday 24 November 2014

Ewden Black Grouse.

An interesting conversation today with one of the Gamekeeper's lads. I asked him about any recent Black Grouse sightings and he informed me that about 3 weeks ago he saw one which was wearing what appeared to be a radio collar.  It was seen in the area below Ewden Height which is where they were normally located. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this sighting but I was just wondering if anyone had any info about the history of the released birds with regards to the possibility of it being correct ?

Thanks.

4 comments:

Martin Wells said...

Interesting one this Dave.
I was talking to my brother, who lives in the Yorkshire Dales, about three weeks ago.
He saw a male Black Grouse wearing a transmitter, and traced it to a release scheme about 8km - 10km from where he saw it.
I will get the details from him and post it in the comments on this post later.

Simmo said...

Thanks Martin,

Look forward to reading more.

Martin Wells said...

Just received a bit more information.
The radio 'tagged' Black Grouse is the last survivor of an estimated 200 captive bred birds that were released at and around LADYBOWER between 2003 - 2007 in association with Severn Trent Water.
This should not be confused with birds that were released at Ewden Height - that were nothing to do with Severn Trent.
It is believed the failure was due to the birds being of captive origin and were susceptible to predation (mammalian and avian). Not at all street-wise.
A programme of re-introducing wild birds in the Yorkshire Dales is by re-locating them from viable populations further north, and appears to be having much more success. Although many of these re-located birds wear radio collars, the Ewden bird IS NOT one of these.

Simmo said...

Thanks for that Martin, I'll keep my eye out when I next do Ewden Height.