Sunday 27 November 2011

Thou hath sinned!

Ok, I admit it, finally made the trip to Ryhill Pond this morning where the drake American Wigeon was showing reasonably well, albeit in choppy waters.
Drake American Wigeon, Wintersett
note the gleaming white axilleries (armpits), a feature you would need to
 see on a juvenile or female to help clinch identification .
Ok, enough of that and back to the mecca at Old Moor. A lack of call-outs this afternoon gave me chance for a visit before the lights went on and then probably out! The Cetti's Warbler was singing at the Reedbeds and was also seen. The Bittern was there too and was photographed in the afternoon. It had a fly around for me at dusk when six Goosanders were roosting on the Mere and a Barn Owl was hunting nearby.

1 comment:

Young Nudger said...

I just dunt know what it is but I just can't bring mi sen to visit the pond. I drove past it nearly everyday tekking mi lad to school and still couldn't call.
To be reight its in the Wakefield area any way so its nowt to do wi us fromt TARN.

Everytime there's summert like a decent rarity turns up like an American Wigeon I've got to admit I think its a waste. A couple of more miles and it could have been in the Dearne Valley and helped with the publicity and subsequent conservation drive to make things better along the Dearne. I mean, what ever turns up at the pond int going to alter things there, nar is it?