Monday 30 January 2012

'Taiga' Bean Goose at Wintersett

After some research the Wintersett Bean Goose looks a very good Taiga as can be seen from the photos below. Taiga is the rarer of the two Bean Goose forms that are seen in Yorkshire with the other form - Tundra being far more regular and this is also the case in the Barnsley area. The true status of the forms from 'the past' is a bit hazy (they were simply Beans in the good old days) but it seems Taigas were likely on three previous ocassions;- Bretton Park in 1980, nine birds on Whitley Common in 1987/88 and Wath Ings in 1990.

3 comments:

Mick Cunningham said...

Hi Graham - see comments under Carl's pics below. I saw the whitley beans all those years ago, I had no idea what race they were = 'tick'thanks!

Graham Speight said...

Mick, I am not saying they were 'Taigas' but Addeys Birds of Barnsley does. On time of year and flock size I think Tundras far more likely. We need to see photos.

Mick Cunningham said...

shame. so I can't def have it on my Hudds' list. I think a lot of old taiga claims were probably tundra - and how many tundra's were pinks ;-)