Saturday 5 December 2015

Edderthorpe, Friday

A Cettis Warbler was calling in the corner, triangle pond reedbed at 08.15 but wasn't heard again in the next hour of listening. This is the second record for the Flash following a bird in the same reedbed in mid November 2009. Still loads of dabbling duck but difficult to count as they constantly move between here and Houghton Washland;- Shoveler 48, Wigeon 115, Tufted 28.
As a clumsy aside and to give readers something to laugh at ;- I couldn't wade over the dike as I usually do due to the high levels with all the recent rain and as I was getting short on time and needed to get to work I had to find an alternative crossing. A fallen tree provided a bridge, half way across my telescope strap snagged on one of many branches, ripped off and I felt the 'scope and tripod falling. It hit the trunk and stopped, phew, before I could get my wellied boot on it, it slid again and my nearly new Swarovski and tripod fell into the dike! Nightmare! But it floats and the current was moving it downstream. After a short panic I retrieved it and hopefully with it being gas filled should be no worse for it's fall.  

No comments: