Sunday 28 July 2013

Return of the net!

Internet returned at just before midnight - things are looking up. Missed out on all those removed comments from earlier so the only clue I have is a text from Jeff Wragg who told me that my earlier question had stirred up a hornets nest. What did he mean I wonder? Anyway, here comes another!

A good evening visit to Old Moor began with a juvenile Wood Sandpiper on the Wader Scrape. News of this bird had appeared on the pager late afternoon. Thanks.

Wood Sand' on the Wader Scrape - John Hewitt
The rain had set in and was presumably responsible for grounding a summer-plumage Knot on The Mere. With the deteriorating light and more than a tad of 'cant be arsed' attitude I continued to the Wath Ings hide without my SLR, where, sods law, the first bird I saw as I walked through the door was the immature Night Heron. This is the first time I have seen it really well, and, as mentioned by several observers who saw it well the other  night, the streaking on the underparts would suggest its a first-summer. At least I did have my 'digiscope' kit and managed to grab a couple of acceptable images before it slowly walked back under the willows about 5 minutes before the next birders arrived. I had to leave on a call-out but they stayed til dark without success.



And finally: Ivan Martin phoned to tell me he had seen a bird fly northeast over Midhope at 11.55 and he was 100% sure it was a Great Skua. Goodnight.

No comments: