Saturday 8 December 2012

Hawfinch at Carlton Marsh!!

Wonder if you could help in identifying the bird in the attached photo.
It was taken at carlton marsh on 21/11/2012 at approx 1400 hrs.
Opinions from other regulars at carlton are of the opinion that it is a Chaffinch
but in my opinion the wing bars are wrong. I myself thought it may be a Hawfinch
but as they are rare I have my doubts.
Picture is not very good as it was taken on a phone
 
Looking forward to your suggestions ?
 
Regards
 
Rod Heeley (Cudworth)

This photo and message has been sent to the blog administrator - Mark Doveston and clearly is a Hawfinch, (and a superb photo considering its from a phone). Thanks very much Rod, I assume this will be the first for Carlton Marsh. How about that then Cliff?

2 comments:

Cliff Gorman said...

yes it is a new species for Carlton Marsh Graham. There was a local record at nearby Carlton Sewage works in 1963. (John Armitage) Keith told me today it was a Hawfinch after seeing the photo, I hadn't seen it until now as I have been on holiday. What a piece of luck to get that close with a phone camera. Rod is a new starter and has done well.

The WIM Man said...

that's a great record and well done to the observer for taking the trouble to get it through to us. An impressive phone shot too - I take it he didn't borrow yours Gray!!!