Saturday 21 February 2015

Silkstone and Scout Dike

After my routine visit to Old Moor this morning my curiosity (and nose!) led me to Silkstone Sewage Farm. An half-decent count of 36 pied wags on the filter beds and two buzzards over were by far the most notable things. Re the wags, I aim to take a look here a bit more often come spring for an alba.
Curiosity much more than optimism then led me to Scout Dike, particularly when I noticed lots of geese in surrounding fields. Whilst scanning through the canadas and geylags on the north bank I came across one, then another two White-fronted Geese. Excellent! My first 'tick' here in three years and my (I think) 143rd species (mad or sad?) Not that I visit the site much nowadays - disturbance and development have put pay to that. Debate continues about their racial ID. I understand Nick Mallinson aims to post some pics on the Hudds site. Hope they stick around anyway.
Also of note, c.300 Canada geese, 55 Greylags and 2 Goosander.
That's it 'till this time next year!
Cheers
Russ
http://shapesthatsometimesfly.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments: